Temporary Skill Shortage or TSS 482 Visa
The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa 482 allows an employer to sponsor a skilled worked to fill a position they cannot find in Australia.
- Be a genuine applicant for entry and stay as a short term visa holder
- Be nominated by an approved sponsor
- Have a positive skills assessment
- Have complied with previous visa conditions
- Have health insurance
- Have no debt to the Australian government
- Have not contravened ‘paying for visa sponsorship’ legislative provisions
- Have relevant skills, qualifications and employment background to perform occupation
- Have worked in your nominated occupation or a related field for at least 2 years
- If you are applying in Australia, you must hold: a substantive visa or a Bridging visa A, Bridging visa B or Bridging visa C
- Meet certain minimum standards of English language proficiency
- Meet our character requirement
- Meet our health requirement
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
- Sign the Australian values statement
- There is no age requirement for this visa
- Work for your nominating employer
- Short-term stream: you can stay for up to 2 years, 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies and Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years
- Medium-term stream: Up to 4 years and Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years
- Labour agreement stream: up to a maximum of 4 years, depending on the terms in the labour agreement and Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years
- Subsequent entrant: You can stay for as long as your visa is valid
- Short-term stream: 75% of applications — 9 months and 90% of applications — 10 months
- Medium-term stream: 75% of applications — 7 months and 90% of applications — 9 months
- Labour agreement stream: 75% of applications — 7 months and 90% of applications — 11 months
The Temporary Skill Shortage or TSS Subclass 482 Visa is a temporary visa, allowing employers to sponsor an eligible skilled worker to fill a position for which the employer cannot find a suitably skilled Australian. This visa type is designed to make temporary entry arrangements for businesses facing skill shortage in the Australian labour market. The TSS 482 visa is one of the common work visas, offering renewal possibilities and a permanent residency pathway.
A business can sponsor a foreign employee for this visa only if it cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the job. The 482 visa can be sponsored by a Standard Business Sponsor (SBS) or an Overseas Business Sponsor (OBS). The sponsored employee can be present in or outside Australia when applying (or hold a BVA, BVB, BVC).
The TSS visa Subclass 482 came into existence on the 18th March 2018 by replacing the 457 visa. The subclass 482 visa is made of three streams, including:
- The short-term stream – This stream allows employers to temporarily bring overseas skilled workers into Australia in occupations included on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). The candidates can be sponsored for a maximum period of two years, and the visa can be renewed once. If an international trade obligation applies, the candidate can stay for a period of up to four years.
- The medium-term stream – This stream allows employers to bring highly skilled overseas workers in the country to fill medium-term critical skills. The occupation of the skilled worker must be included on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupations List (ROL). The candidate can be sponsored for this visa for up to four years each time. Moreover, this visa stream allows the candidate to apply for permanent residence after three years of their stay in the country.
- The Labour Agreement stream – This stream allows employers to source overseas skilled workers as per the labour agreement with the Commonwealth. The sourcing of the employees is done based on a demonstrated requirement that can’t be met in the Australian labour market and no availability of standard visa. This stream allows negotiation for a permanent residence.
If you wish to begin your TSS visa application process, speak to the 482 visa consultant at Southern Stone. Our 482 visa immigration agents can guide you on making a successful application.
Eligibility Criteria for the TSS 482 Visa
To be eligible for the TSS 482, the candidate must:
- Have an occupation included on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List
- Be nominated for a job position by an approved sponsor
- Have relevant skills and qualifications for your occupation
- Have a minimum of two years of work experience in your occupation
- Meet the English language requirements
- Meet good character and health requirements set by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA)
- If present in Australia, the candidate must have a substantive visa, or a bridging visa A, B, or C and must have complied with all visa conditions.
Note: There’s no age limit to apply for the TSS Subclass 482 Visa.
Requirements for Employers To Apply For The Subclass 482 Visa
To secure the subclass 482 visa, the employer must:
- Fulfil requirements related to salary and employment conditions
- Present evidence of Labour Market Testing if needed
- Be a lawfully functioning business
- Not have adverse information against the business
- Nominate a full-time and genuine job position for the foreign national worker
Procedure for Applying for the TSS 482 Visa
There are three steps involved in applying for the TSS 482 visa.
Step 1: A lawfully active employer must make a sponsorship application for the foreign employee they want to hire.
Step 2: The next step is the nomination application related to the vacant job position, salary offered, efforts put into hiring Australian workers, and the ‘genuineness’ of the position. The business hiring foreign employees must be eligible to sponsor from overseas.
Step 3: The last step requires a visa application by the nominated employee. The visa applicant must prove that they have the skills required to undertake the job being offered by the employer. The candidate must also meet all health and character requirements.
482 Visa Processing Time
The processing time for the TSS visas are as follows:
Short Term Stream
75% of applications: 9 months
90% of applications: 11 months
Medium Term Stream
75% of applications: 3 months
90% of applications: 9 months
Labour Agreement Stream
75% of applications: 5 months
90% of applications: 15 months
To get more details on the procedure and processing time of the 482 Visa, get in touch with our TSS visa consultants in Melbourne.
Southern Stone is dedicated to helping candidates to fulfil their dream to work and settle in Australia. We have a team of expert TSS visa consultants that can guide you through applying for the subclass 482 visa offered by the government.
To secure the TSS 482 visa, it is essential to meet all the requirements set for this visa type. Speak to our 482 visa consultant in Melbourne to know if you are eligible for this visa.
Book a consultation session with our visa migration agent, and we will be happy to guide you to secure the 482 visa. Contact us on 1300 188 999 or fill in our contact us form, and we will give you a call back.