Temporary Skill Shortage or TSS 482 Visa
The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa 482 allows an employer to sponsor a skilled worked to fill a position they cannot find in Australia.
- Be a genuine applicant for entry and stay as a short term visa holder
- Be nominated by an approved sponsor
- Have a positive skills assessment
- Have complied with previous visa conditions
- Have health insurance
- Have no debt to the Australian government
- Have not contravened ‘paying for visa sponsorship’ legislative provisions
- Have relevant skills, qualifications and employment background to perform occupation
- Have worked in your nominated occupation or a related field for at least 2 years
- If you are applying in Australia, you must hold: a substantive visa or a Bridging visa A, Bridging visa B or Bridging visa C
- Meet certain minimum standards of English language proficiency
- Meet our character requirement
- Meet our health requirement
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
- Sign the Australian values statement
- There is no age requirement for this visa
- Work for your nominating employer
- Short-term stream: you can stay for up to 2 years, 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies and Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years
- Medium-term stream: Up to 4 years and Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years
- Labour agreement stream: up to a maximum of 4 years, depending on the terms in the labour agreement and Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years
- Subsequent entrant: You can stay for as long as your visa is valid
- Short-term stream: 75% of applications — 9 months and 90% of applications — 10 months
- Medium-term stream: 75% of applications — 7 months and 90% of applications — 9 months
- Labour agreement stream: 75% of applications — 7 months and 90% of applications — 11 months
The Temporary Skill Shortage or TSS Subclass 482 Visa is a temporary visa, allowing employers to sponsor an eligible skilled worker to fill a position for which the employer cannot find a suitably skilled Australian. This visa type is designed to make temporary entry arrangements for businesses facing skill shortage in the Australian labour market. The TSS 482 visa is one of the common work visas, offering renewal possibilities and a permanent residency pathway.
A business can sponsor a foreign employee for this visa only if it cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the job. The 482 visa can be sponsored by a Standard Business Sponsor (SBS) or an Overseas Business Sponsor (OBS). The sponsored employee can be present in or outside Australia when applying (or hold a BVA, BVB, BVC).
The TSS visa Subclass 482 came into existence on the 18th March 2018 by replacing the 457 visa. The subclass 482 visa is made of three streams, including:
- The short-term stream – This stream allows employers to temporarily bring overseas skilled workers into Australia in occupations included on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). The candidates can be sponsored for a maximum period of two years, and the visa can be renewed once. If an international trade obligation applies, the candidate can stay for a period of up to four years.
- The medium-term stream – This stream allows employers to bring highly skilled overseas workers in the country to fill medium-term critical skills. The occupation of the skilled worker must be included on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupations List (ROL). The candidate can be sponsored for this visa for up to four years each time. Moreover, this visa stream allows the candidate to apply for permanent residence after three years of their stay in the country.
- The Labour Agreement stream – This stream allows employers to source overseas skilled workers as per the labour agreement with the Commonwealth. The sourcing of the employees is done based on a demonstrated requirement that can’t be met in the Australian labour market and no availability of standard visa. This stream allows negotiation for a permanent residence.
If you wish to begin your TSS visa application process, speak to the 482 visa consultant at Southern Stone. Our 482 visa immigration agents can guide you on making a successful application. We also offer employer nomination scheme visa, regional sponsored migration scheme visa, subclass 494, training visa and more.
Eligibility Criteria for the TSS 482 Visa
To be eligible for the TSS 482, the candidate must:
- Have an occupation included on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List
- Be nominated for a job position by an approved sponsor
- Have relevant skills and qualifications for your occupation
- Have a minimum of two years of work experience in your occupation
- Meet the English language requirements
- Meet good character and health requirements set by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA)
- If present in Australia, the candidate must have a substantive visa, or a bridging visa A, B, or C and must have complied with all visa conditions.
Note: There’s no age limit to apply for the TSS Subclass 482 Visa.
Requirements for Employers To Apply For The Subclass 482 Visa
To secure the subclass 482 visa, the employer must:
- Fulfil requirements related to salary and employment conditions
- Present evidence of Labour Market Testing if needed
- Be a lawfully functioning business
- Not have adverse information against the business
- Nominate a full-time and genuine job position for the foreign national worker
Procedure for Applying for the TSS 482 Visa
There are three steps involved in applying for the TSS 482 visa.
Step 1: A lawfully active employer must make a sponsorship application for the foreign employee they want to hire.
Step 2: The next step is the nomination application related to the vacant job position, salary offered, efforts put into hiring Australian workers, and the ‘genuineness’ of the position. The business hiring foreign employees must be eligible to sponsor from overseas.
Step 3: The last step requires a visa application by the nominated employee. The visa applicant must prove that they have the skills required to undertake the job being offered by the employer. The candidate must also meet all health and character requirements.
482 Visa Processing Time
The processing time for the TSS visas are as follows:
Short Term Stream
75% of applications: 9 months
90% of applications: 11 months
Medium Term Stream
75% of applications: 3 months
90% of applications: 9 months
Labour Agreement Stream
75% of applications: 5 months
90% of applications: 15 months
To get more details on the procedure and processing time of the 482 Visa, get in touch with our TSS visa consultants in Melbourne.
Southern Stone is dedicated to helping candidates to fulfill their dream to work and settle in Australia. We have a team of expert TSS visa consultants who can guide you through applying for the subclass 482 visa offered by the government.
To secure the TSS 482 visa, it is essential to meet all the requirements set for this visa type. Speak to our 482 visa consultant in Melbourne to know if you are eligible for this visa.
Our Migration Agent In Melbourne assist you with partner visa, skilled independent visa, subclass 190, student visa and more. Book a consultation session with our visa migration agent, and we will be happy to guide you to secure the 482 visa. Contact us on 1300 188 999 or fill in our contact us form, and we will give you a call back.
The Temporary Skilled Shortage or TSS 482 visa permits a skilled worker to come to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for the employer who sponsored them for this visa type. To be eligible for this visa type, you must be a genuine applicant for entry and stay as a short-term visa holder, get nominated by an approved sponsor, have a positive skills assessment, must compile with previous visa conditions, possess health insurance, must not have any debt to the Australian government, possess relevant skills, qualifications and employment background to perform occupation, and meet all other requirements set by the government.
The processing time for the 482 visa may differ from case to case. For the short-term stream, 75% of applications receive an answer in 9 months, and 90% of applications get a response in 10 months. For the medium-term stream, 75% of applications receive a reply in 7 months, and about 90% of applications receive an answer in 9 months. For the labour agreement stream, 75% of applications are processed in 7 months and 90% in 11 months. To boost your chances of receiving a positive reply for your visa, get in touch with 482 visa migration agents at Southern Stone.
To be eligible for the TSS visa, you must be a genuine applicant, ready to stay as a short-term visa holder. You must be nominated by an approved sponsor and have a positive skills assessment. If you have any previous visas, you must have a record of compiling them. To secure the TSS visa, you may also require health insurance and work experience in a nominated occupation or relevant field for a minimum of 2 years. These are just a few criteria for being eligible for the TSS visa. To get complete details on the eligibility of this visa, feel free to talk to our 482 visa immigration agent.
The TSS visa application charge for the short-term stream is $1,290 per primary applicant and adult dependant. For every child dependant, thereâ€™s an additional cost of $325. The charges for TSS visa medium-term stream are different. All primary applicants have to pay $2,690. For every adult dependant, thereâ€™s an additional cost of $2,690; for child dependant, the cost is $675. The visa prices may or may not be revised in a few years. To know the updated cost of applying for a TSS visa, it is best to speak to our 482 visa consultant. Southern Stoneâ€™s visa consultants can provide you with all the visa costs and application details.
The 482 visa allows employers to deal with labour shortages by sponsoring and bringing in skilled workers to Australia if they can’t find an appropriately skilled Australian worker to do the job. To get sponsored for a 482 visa, you will have to find employers looking for candidates to fulfil their labour shortage demand. You may explore online employment advertisers like Seek and Careerone. Apart from this, you may look for jobs advertised in leading newspapers, depending on which part of Australia you are interested in moving to. You may also connect with recruitment agents or speak to personal contacts or networks you have in Australia (if applicable).
There are pathways to apply for Permanent Residency when an applicant is on a Medium-Term TSS 482 Visa. Applicants may apply for PR through the Employer-Sponsored Temporary Transition Stream (ENS/RSMS). However, the condition is that the applicantâ€™s occupation must be on the Medium Term list, and the applicant must have worked for the same employer for three years on their TSS visa. After three years in Australia, applicants on TSS 482 visa may apply for permanent residency. Thereâ€™s the scope of negotiation for permanent residence even when an applicant is on TSS 482 Labour-Agreement stream.