Notice of ATO Data Matching Program – Are you currently on a Visa in Australia??
The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has already announced that they will commence the collection of Tax File Number for 457 visa holders (and other employer sponsored migrants) along with the 457-visa change announcement in April 2017. The ATO will also acquire information on visa holders for the 2017-2018, 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 financial years to ensure that visa holders and employers are meeting their Australian taxation obligations along with DIBP requirements and conditions.
The data items that will be obtained from ATO are:
- Address history for visa applicants and sponsors
- Contact history for visa applicants and sponsors
- All visa grants
- Visa grant status by point in time
- Migration agents (visa application preparer who assisted or facilitated the processing of the visa)
- Address history for migration agents
- Contact history for migration agents
- All international travel movements undertaken by visa holders (arrivals and departures)
- Sponsor details
- Education Providers (educational institution where a student visa holder intends to undertake their study)
- Visa subclass name
It is estimated that records of 20 million individuals will be obtained over the course of the three year period. These records will be electronically matched with ATO data holdings to identify non-compliance with obligations under taxation and superannuation laws.
- Have you changed employers without lodging a new nomination?
- Are you currently underpaid by your employer?
- Do you have concerns about your visa status and the information which will be provided to the department and ATO?
- Our accounting team can review your payroll records to ensure they are compliance with ATO and the department requirements.