PLEASE NOTE THAT SUBCLASS 187 VISA IS NOW CLOSED AND HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH SUBCLASS 494 SKILLED EMPLOYER SPONSORED REGIONAL (PROVISIONAL) VISA
This visa replaced the previous Subclass 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa on 16 November 2019 and is designed to assist regional employers to address identified labour shortages within their region when they cannot source appropriately skilled local workers.
Unlike the subclass 187 RSMS visa which was a direct permanent residency pathway, the subclass 494 visa will require visa holders to live and work in a designated regional are for at least three years before being able to apply for permanent residency.
There are two streams available under this visa:
- Employer Sponsored Stream
- Labour Agreement Stream – only for employers who have an existing Labour Agreement with the Australian government
Benefits of the Subclass 494 visa
- 5-year validity
- Medicare eligibility
- Pathway to PR after 3 years living and working in regional Australia
- Priority processing
Sponsoring employers must:
- Be located in a designated regional area of Australia
- Nominate a position on the relevant occupation list
- Obtain approval from the relevant Regional Certifying Body
- Provide evidence that position is full-time, genuine and likely to be available for five years
- Provide evidence that position’s remuneration level will be paid at the market salary rate
Visa applicants must:
- Be 45 years of age or under
- Have a suitable skills assessment for the nominated position
- Have at least three years full-time and relevant work experience in your nominated occupation
- Have competent English
- Meet health and character requirement
Pathway To Permanent Residency
The subclass 494 visa is granted for a period of five years. After working and living in the designated regional area for three years, visa holders will be able to apply for permanent residency under the Subclass 191 (Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa.
The main criteria then will be the requirement that the main applicant or their spouse (if this spouse was included in the subclass 494 application ’s annual income was at least $53,900.00 per year for the past three years.
Subclass 191 visa applicants will NOT be required to be nominated by a sponsoring employer for the permanent residency application. This will be a very welcoming policy for potential applicants.
If you wish to find out more information on the new subclass 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa, please email or call us today on 1300 188 999 for an obligation free consultation.