Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) (Subclass 187) Visa
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) is a permanent employer sponsored visa for skilled workers who want to work and live in regional area Australia.
Permanent Residency through the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa offers the highest level of priority processing in the employer sponsored permanent visa classes from DIBP.
There are three streams you can apply under Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa similar to Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) Visa and you must be nominated by an approved Australian employer in regional Australia.
- Temporary Residence Transition Stream
- Direct Entry Stream
- Agreement Stream
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa application has two or three stages.
- RCB (Regional Certifying Body) Advice – Direct Entry Only
- Employer Nomination application
- Visa application
Regional Certifying Body Advice
To apply Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa under Direct Entry stream, Regional Certifying Bodies must provide advice on the employer nomination under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.
In general terms, the employer must be able to demonstrate to an applicable certifying body that:
- The position is a genuine full-time vacancy
- It is available for at least 2 consecutive years
- The position cannot be filled from the local labour market
- Employment and remuneration is in accordance with Australian industrial laws and at market rate
- There is, or will be, an employment contract or letter of appointment covering the position
Nomination by an employer
To nominate a position under Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme, the employer must:
- Be actively and lawfully operating in regional area Australia
- Have a genuine need for a paid employee to fill a position in the employer’s business
- Offer a skilled position for the applicant at least two years full time with a market salary rate
- Have no adverse information known about the business or any person associated with your business
- Have a satisfactory record of compliance with immigration law and workplace relations law
Visa applicants must:
- have been nominated by an approved Australian employer in regional area within six months you apply
- be under the age of 50 for Temporary Residence Stream, 45 for Direct Entry Stream
- meet the required skills and qualifications for the position you have been nominated for
- have appropriate English language skills
- meet health and character requirements
- meet the requirement of the stream in which you apply
NOTE: The skills, qualifications and language requirements depend on whether you apply for the Temporary Residence Transition stream, the Direct Entry stream or the Agreement stream.
The requirement for Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa are in general more straightforward and lenient than Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186). However, it is important to get a right advice from experienced registered migration agents in Melbourne before you apply.
We assist employers who operate in areas determined regional for the purposes of migration, to manage these visa applications along with the application to the relevant Regional Certifying Body (RCB).
Tip. Cancellation of a visa will not occur where a nominating employer terminates an employee’s contract within the 2-year period, provided the employee has made a genuine effort to complete the 2 years with the approved employer. If the employee’s visa is cancelled, the visas for people who accompanied the employee to Australia through the Regional Skilled Migration Scheme Visa will also be cancelled.